Ingredient Spotlight: Candlenut
Oh the Candlenut. Also known as Kemiri in Indonesian, Kukui in Hawaii, and a staple in food, beauty, and health treatments. Also known affectionately as “the poor man’s macadamia nut” in Indonesia, we love this ingredient for not only its variety of uses but the benefits it has! Here are some popular uses in Indonesia:
- Crushed into bits, the soft candlenuts can create a beautiful exfoliating and hydrating scrub – the soft nuts gently slough off dead skin cells while the dry oils of the candlenut moisturize your skin at the same time.
- Candlenut oil is an extremely popular choice for a deep conditioning/head massage treatment called the Cremebath, for making hair healthy and black, with a silky shine.
- A staple in Indonesian cuisine, Candlenuts are often cooked into curries, giving dishes a delicious, lightly nutty and savory flavor.
- Toasted whole, it tastes like a lighter, crunchier version of a macadamia nut – bon apetit! (Note: Candlenuts must be cooked before eaten.)
- The oil from roasted candlenuts can be massaged onto a babies’ scalp as a treatment for cradle cap. The dry oil penetrates skin gently and deeply, without any greasy after feel (hence its signature velvety feel), leaving skin healthy and not covered in oil.
- Candlenut (aka Kukui nut) oil is also great for giving relief to skin affected by Eczema, due to its high skin penetrability, allowing moisture to enter while also letting skin breathe.
Candlenut Oil is very high in Omega 3 and Omega 6 Essential Fatty Acids (EFA). In fact, the oil is 69% EFA, which puts it up there with Flax Seed Oil and Chia Seed Oil (71% and 70% respectively). Almond Oil has 17%, Avocado has 10%, Rice Bran Oil has 36%, just to give you perspective. Why is this important? Application of EFA is key in strengthening the skin’s lipid barrier which is why, for example, Evening Primrose Oil (81%) is often prescribed for Eczema Patients.
It also contains glycerides of linoleic, oleic and various linolenic acids, which are essential to skin health.
We love this oil so much our cult classic product, the Candlenut Body Creme, is based on Candlenut oil! As the product that started it all for JUARA, it has become a love-at-first-sight product for countless JUARA customers, celebrities and beauty editors. An ultra-nourishing complex of velvety Candlenut Oil, firming Rice Bran Oil, redness-reducing Avocado Oil and rich Illipe Butter give you long-lasting moisture without the greasiness… definitely more than just a “feel good” product, but one that’s good for you. Curious? Learn more here.
Likewise, our popular Candlenut Hydrating Shower Gel is a sulfate-free, delightfully foaming body cleanser infused with candlenut oil that takes you to the tropics with our signature Candlenut fragrance, while leaving your skin supple, clean, and soft. Encased in an elegant bottle, this shower gel is as pleasing to use as it is to the eye in the beautiful batik-inspired bottle and easy-to-use pump. Curious? Learn more here.